Joe J. Truffini - 1958 (Covell)
Truffini, originally from Dixon, came to Davis in 1938. After he came home from the war in 1943, he and Betsy rented a house on the outskirts of town—at 8th & G, and he managed a Shell Station at 1st & B.
In 1944 the couple bought three lots at 4th & G (where the Jack in the Box is now) for $2,000 each where they put a filing station—the Flying A. The station also served as a site for farmers to meet with buyers to sell their crops.
Both he and Betsy became very active in the town. In 1980 she also received the Covell trophy.
—Worked to pass the bonds that built West Davis School and East Davis School
—Set up Truffini Kids, a network of several baseball teams (1952-53)
—Generally very active in the town that grew so quickly after the war
After Joe and Betsy retired (and long after receiving this award), they decided to concentrate on one project: a senior center. The town needed a new one. Joe convinced Betsy to build it where the current Center is located and worked hard to gather the money and support. Phase 1 was completed in 1984 just before Joe died.
The July 10, 1958 Enterprise article announcing the award said that Truffini, who is an honorary highway patrolman in Yolo County, has also served the city
—Chamber of Commerce for 30 years, which included two years on the board and president in 1957
—Member, Boy Scout Council
—Member, Planning Commission
“It is legendary in Davis that when any important issue faces the city, leading citizens concerned in the outcome will spend hours with Joe Truffini at his big service station at G and 4th. His knowledge and advice are rated as invaluable.”
Presented by Ed Roessler July 4 at the UC football field.